Millers in Shanghai

Millers in Shanghai

Sunday, October 23, 2005

Nash: 23 October 2005

Jakarta is very different from America. I am now used to the junk on the side of the road and many vendors trying to sell things to us.

My school campus is very big. It has about 25 classrooms in 7 buildings. Mr. Behse is my teacher. He is sometimes strict and stubborn. I have after school activities at my school. I was lucky to get the 3 activities that I picked, which are: computer class (Wednesday), Mad Science (Tuesday), and strings (Monday & Thursday). I play the violin. I am now comfortable enough with my violin hold that I can hold it without any hands – with only my shoulder and my jaw. In Mad Science we do many experiments, like making crystals. Me and my friend, Rish, are the only people who answer the questions. Everybody else is there for the explosions, not the knowledge. I love baseball. I am going to start being in one of the JIS little leagues. Grant is in the machine pitch league and Luke is in the t-ball league. I am not very good at pitching and I didn’t even hit the target board on the tryout test. On the machine pitch test, the ball came hurtling out at 50 mph with great force. One of the balls hit my finger on the bat, even though my hands were not too high on the bat. My finger started to swell and it turned purple. It really hurt! I am excited to start baseball and I hope to get better at it.

Rish came over last Saturday and he brought Crazy Frog. I doubt that you know what Crazy Frog is, but it is a band that plays “mixed” dance music. We bought the CD at Pondok Indah Mall.

I love to play computer games. Luckily, at Ratu Plaza (which means Queen Plaza), they have a computer store where they sell cheap computer games. For my birthday I got 2 computer games – one was Railroad Tycoon and one was Moon Tycoon. However, when I opened “Moon Tycoon,” it was actually Airport Tycoon. And Railroad Tycoon can be installed, but when I put in the disk, it says “Please insert disc 2” and when I insert the other disc, it says “Wrong Disk.” I don’t know what’s wrong with it. Airport Tycoon had problems on my computer. Those problems were: the mouse would not move when I opened a window and I did not understand the game because it was so slow. Luckily, downstairs on Mom & Dad’s computer, it works!!

I am adjusting well to this new life and hope to see you all when I visit you or when you visit me.