Millers in Shanghai

Millers in Shanghai

Sunday, August 24, 2014

2014 August 24 - First Week of School / Too Many Boxes

We've survived another week here in Shanghai - first week of school, and then our sea shipment was delivered on Friday.  We're tired and feeling a bit overwhelmed with all of the boxes in the house, but happy to have all our "stuff" here now.

Like last week, here are some impressions from each of the kids about the first week:


Grant

This week we started school at Concordia. I think it is a really nice school and I think I will like it this year. All of my classes seem like they are going to be really fun this year. Even English (I can't believe I just said that). It shouldn't be too tough. I am really happy that I am able to go to such a great school. The only down side is the amount of stairs I have to climb. Some days I have to go up 5 floors only to come all the way back down again after the class. It is difficult, but I will have thighs of steel!


Luke

The first three days of school have gone pretty great. We finally have the chance to ride our bikes to school! The campus is huge and the food isn’t actually that bad. I signed up for the fall play this year and got a lead role, which is pretty nice. I’m also going to sign up for yearbook, which is going to be pretty fun. My interim trip to Inner Mongolia is in a few weeks. We get to go camel riding and sand-sliding, we get to plant trees in the wilderness, we get to sleep in a yurt, and we get to eat dumplings with an inner Mongolian family. It’s going to be really fun. I’m super excited.


Mallory

Last week I started school and it was great. I’ve got two really good friends. They’re super nice. I love this school.  My teacher is good and I love art. In art we’re doing a unit on animation - it’s awesome. I love P.E. - it’s super fun, too. My teacher had us do a pre-assessment. He gave us a paper that had a bunch of instructions on it. The first one said read every thing before you do anything. And the second one was write your name in the top right hand corner.  Nobody read every thing, they just started and the instructions were like poke three holes in the paper or shout out your name and things like that. On the last instruction it said now only do step two, which was write your name in the top right hand corner. Nobody did that so it was pretty funny. It wasn’t a real assessment  but it was still funny. He did that to see if we could follow instructions.  We all really could but this was just to see. I love my school and I think that I will like it.




On his way to his first day of seminary (Luke wasn't far behind).



Heidi made them pancakes for breakfast for the first day of school.





Fingers (and toes) for their grades.


One of Mallory's first homework assignments - a collage about herself.


Grant and Luke both had homework on the first night.


The moving process.








This was in one of the boxes - a poster from Nash's middle school musical -- in Jakarta.  Not sure why we've been hauling that around for 6+ years.



Mallory made good use of the boxes - a cardboard keyboard.